What better way to get into the holiday spirit than with some holiday spirits? Cocktails are notorious for being high in calories and sugar, but choosing healthy ingredients can at least ensure that you’re getting some nutritional benefits from your booze. Raise a glass to your health by mixing up these healthy holiday cocktails:
1. GINGER MARTINI – Ginger is used as a natural remedy for everything from nausea and heartburn to migraines and flu symptoms. This martini from Skinny Scoop combines ginger tea with vodka, simple syrup, and lemon juice, along with a pinch of grated ginger and candied ginger for garnish.
2. CRANBERRY MARGARITA – Cranberries are bursting with vitamin C, antioxidants, and other nutrients that make them an extremely healthy cocktail mixer, especially in juice form (just watch out for the sugar content in sweetened varieties!). Eat Live Run‘s cranberry margarita uses fresh cranberries boiled into a syrup with tequila, triple sec and lime juice. Garnish with lime wedges, cranberries, and a salted rim.
3. WASSAIL – A kind of cross between apple cider and eggnog, this spiced drink comes from an old tradition of sharing warm alcoholic beverages with neighbors while caroling. It’s made with apples, eggs, orange, cider, brandy, and lots of fragrant fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, like in this traditional wassail recipe from Nourished Kitchen.
4. POMEGRANATE SPRITZER – Though it may be a strange-looking fruit, the pomegranate has B vitamins, potassium and folic acid, and can help fight cancer and cardiovascular disease. All you need for this simple wine spritzer from The Kitchn is pomegranate liqueur and Prosecco.
5. CHERRY WHISKEY SMASH – Cherries have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that battle inflammation, chronic pain and diseases. How Sweet It Is and Threadsence teamed up to create this delicious cocktail with cherry juice, Jack Daniels, amaretto, ginger brandy and cherry cola.
6. SALTED CARAMEL COFFEE – Your daily cup of java has numerous health benefits, like preventing pain, reducing your risk of cancer and diabetes, and protecting your memory. Turn it into a cocktail with this recipe for vodka (or Kahlua/Irish cream)-spiked salted caramel coffee from Nutmeg Nanny. Pass on the whipped cream and use fat free half-and-half to save calories.
9. CRANBERRY APPLE CIDER – Get a double dose of health with our spiked and spiced hot cranberry apple cider. Apples promote weight loss and heart health, lower cholesterol, and boost your endurance. Boil cranberries with apple cider, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom, then add apple slices and brandy for a tasty cocktail.
10. HAZELNUT MARTINI – The vitamins, minerals, protein, and healthy fats in hazelnuts make them a great choice for a snack. While the nutrients are probably pretty distilled in liqueur form, we’d still like to count this hazelnut Christmas martini from Skinny Scoop on our list of healthy cocktails.
What’s your favorite holiday beverage?