Spinach is one of those tricky vegetables, just because it’s green, people tend to run and hide. No one is ever willing to give spinach a chance, like the kid who picks his nose in kindergarten. However, once you sit down and get to know them, both spinach and the six year old nose-picker turn out to be not so bad. Spinach is just as good, if not better, than many of the other veggies. It’s packed with tons of vitamins and can be used in a million different recipes. This super food is low in calories but high in vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6. For those of you (like my dad) who are terrified of anything leafy other than Iceberg lettuce, here’s a bit of information that might help change your mind.
- 3 times more iron than iceberg
- 6 times more magnesium
- Nearly 8 times more vitamin C
- Antioxidants for more health benefits, like anti-aging, improved eye health, and reduced cancer risk
Bottom line—get over it and eat your spinach. It’s so good for you that you would be silly NOT to eat it. Here are some awesome ideas for ways to use spinach…don’t worry, they’re not boring salads!
1. Pesto: Spinach can be a great alternative to basil and can help give your pesto some extra vitamins and minerals. Try this delicious recipe by Health and Cooking. Add this spinach pesto to your favorite pasta or chicken dishes and you’ll never even know the spinach is there!
2. Noodles: Adding spinach to your homemade pasta is another great way to disguise your veggies. Because spinach doesn’t have a super strong flavor, it blends right into the flavor of your noodles. Not to mention it adds a cool color that might even make your kids/friends/whoever WANT to eat their spinach pasta. Check out this awesome pasta recipe by Chasing Delicious.
3. Smoothies: That’s right! Spinach works perfectly in smoothies because the fruits overpower any taste of spinach at all so other than the color, you won’t even be able to tell you’re drinking spinach. Try this yummy banana spinach smoothie by Peaches and Cake.
4. Cupcakes: This one’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, or really any time you feel like eating green cupcakes. No one will suspect you’re feeding them vegetables inside of a cupcake so your secret is totally safe. This Girl’s Canon shared a cool cupcake recipe that even her son loves!
5. Brownies: See, the list keeps getting better. If you have a sweet tooth (like I do) this option is perfect! Adding spinach to brownies is a genius idea-you can’t taste the spinach but you know it’s there…and now you can deem that second brownie ‘healthy’ (well healthier than it would be) so go ahead and dig in! try this recipe brought to us by Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans.
See? Spinach is not only incredibly nutritious, but really versatile too! Try out one of these recipes and I guarantee you’ll love this leafy green.
What’s your favorite spinach recipe?