This filling vegetarian salad combines nutty buckwheat with sliced summer squash, fiber-packed garbanzo beans and crunchy toasted walnuts.
Buckwheat Summer Squash Salad
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 cups uncooked buckwheat
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 small summer (yellow) squash, thinly sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
Put the buckwheat, water, and salt in a large pot and bring it to a boil; reduce heat and cook at a slow boil for 6 to 7 minutes; drain well and put into a large salad bowl and refrigerate until just cooled down.
When cool, add the summer squash, garbanzo beans, walnuts, and Parmesan cheese into the bowl and toss together.
Add the lemon juice, parsley, olive oil, salt, and pepper and stir gently until just mixed and serve immediately.
Image: flickr user llsimon53, licensed by Creative Commons
Originally posted 2011-08-11 13:43:06.