A great soup for using any leftover roasted broccoli!
Recipe: Creamy Roasted Broccoli Soup
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets and Stems, cleaned, cut into small pieces
- 2 Carrots, peeled and dice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 Strips Organic Cacon
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 Ribs Celery, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 48 oz. Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Marjoram, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange the broccoli and carrots in a single layer on the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, mixing veggies a bit to coat.
- Put in preheated oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning several times during cooking time, until tender and browned slightly; remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp in a large soup pot over medium heat; remove to paper towels to drain.
- In same soup pot, add onion and celery and cook in the bacon drippings for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, parsley, and bring to a boil; turn to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pull out bay leaves.
- Add roasted broccoli and carrots to soup in pot, and continue simmering over low heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Strain soup through sieve or colander (retaining liquid) and put solid veggies from colander into food processor.
- Add 2 cups reserved cooking liquid to food processor and blend until solids are smooth.
- Add more cooking liquid if necessary until you have a puree.
- Return puree back to soup pot, pour reserved liquid in, and reheat over low heat only until hot; do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in half and half.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Image: flickr user VirtualErn, licensed by Creative Commons