A perfect summer side dish packed with good nutrients and fresh vegetables.
Recipe: Crunchy Lentil and Chickpea Veggie Toss
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped, including green tops
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped small
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp good olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- In a soup pot, put lentils and water over medium high heat, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and simmer very slowly for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. (Don’t let the lentils boil; skim off any foam that forms on the top.)
- Meanwhile prepare chickpeas and veggies and put into a large salad bowl; cover bowl and keep chilled.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and olive oil, with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- When lentils are cooked, cool slightly, then toss into chilled veggies.
- Pour lime juice and olive oil dressing over the mixture, toss together lightly until combined; taste, adjust seasonings, toss again.
- Chill salad for 15 to 25 minutes, then serve cold.
- To make this lentil salad go a bit further, serve over a bed of crispy Romaine lettuce. You can also toss it with chopped lettuce if you wish.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Image: flickr user WordRidden, licensed by Creative Commons