Spring has finally arrived. When it comes to springtime, my absolute favorite thing to do is entertain outside. The weather is just right, not too hot, not too humid. Some nights you can be in a t-shirt and then there are nights when shorts and a sweatshirt are perfect. As soon as the weather starts warming up, we’re sweeping away the dirt from the patio, lighting up the grill, and relaxing under the lit up deck umbrellas. Soon enough the patio containers will come out and gardening will begin.
With all the excitement for warm weather my taste buds shift to eat lighter. No longer do I want to make soups, stews or comfort meals. Bring on the grilled vegetables, light appetizers and fresh salads. Ahh, Spring, how much I have missed you!
I’m sure many of you are starting to plan parties and get togethers. These Chicken Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are a sure way to serve up a good appetizer to your guests.
Chicken Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 medium white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken sausages, casing removed, broken into small pieces
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 4 olive oil packed sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup part skim grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup baby spinach, chopped
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté onion until translucent
- Add chicken sausages and sauté until slightly cooked through. Make sure to keep breaking up the larger pieces.
- Add sundried tomatoes, dried basil and baby spinach. Cook another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese.
- Fill mushroom caps with the mixture. Set into a baking dish and bake about 15-20 minutes.
New on Food Wine Thyme: Mediterranean Salsa