Waiting for what exactly makes the German Chocolate Cupcakes taste like German Chocolate cake? – its the frosting! This great frosting has the traditional german chocolate cake flavors – coconuts and pecans.
German Chocolate Cupcake Frosting Recipe
Keywords: bake dessert evaporated milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bag (7 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
In a saucepan, put egg yolks, evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes thick, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Pour into a heat-resistant bowl and add vanilla, salt, coconut, and pecans, stirring gently to combine. Let cool at room temperature.
Image: flickr user Tamara Burross, licensed by Creative Commons