This recipe is perfect for a picnic or beach party. The sugar in the pineapple caramelizes on the grill so is extra sweet and juicy!
Grilled Pineapple Banana Kabobs with Sweet Lemon Glaze
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 4 ripe bananas, unpeeled, ends cut off, cut into 2-inch chunks, with 1 lengthwise slice in each peel
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup turbinado (raw) sugar
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
Put the fruit on the skewers, alternating between the banana and pineapple chunks, and set aside.
In a saucepan, put the sugar and place over medium-high heat; cook stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar turns into liquid, about 3 to 4 minutes. Continue stirring and add the lemon zest and juice. Set aside.
Set your grill to medium-high heat.
Brush the skewered banana and pineapple with the glaze and put skewers on grill.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, roll and cook 2 to 3 minutes, repeating until fruit is lightly browned on all sides.
Remove from grill and when cooled enough to handle, remove banana peels, then brush again with remaining glaze and serve.
Image: flickr user garryknight, licensed by Creative Commons
Originally posted 2011-07-29 14:12:38.