Fava Beans require more work than normal beans to get at the actual bean, but don’t let that discourage you from buying them! Pick beans that are sturdy, clean, and usually the larger the better. Here are some simple steps to preparing the beans:
1. Pull the stem of the pod, as if you were pulling back on a zipper. This should easily split open the pod, but if it doesn’t, use a pairing knife.
2. Take out the beans and discard the pod (it is too tough to eat).
3. Boil a pot of salted water.
4. Immerse the beans in the boiling water for a quick 2 minutes.
5. Remove from water and blanch in an ice bath.
6. Once cooled, peel off the outer skin, to find delicious edible bean.
7. Enjoy and prepare as desired!
Image: flickr user luvjnx, licensed by Creative Commons