Often I have a package of leftover hot dogs in my fridge, and, tired of grilling them, am stumped with what to do. This recipe is an easy solution – create street cart inspired stuffed pitas! Similar in taste to potato salad, this recipe uses chopped up hot dogs, and are perfect for picnics. You can make ahead of time, wrap in foil, and serve just as you would receive from a street car!
Recipe: Street Cart Hot Dog Stuffed Pitas
- 1/2 lb organic hot dogs, cubed
- 1/2 lb sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (2 oz) jar stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen diced onions
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 pita rounds
- Cut hot dogs lengthwise into fourths, then slice into small pieces and put in a bowl.
- To the bowl, add the cheese, olives, onions, chili sauce, mustard, eggs, and mayonnaise, and mix together until well combined.
- Cut pita rounds in half, open and fill them almost full (use up the filling.)
- Take heavy duty foil and tightly wrap each pita packet separately.
- Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Set grill to hot, and place foil-wrapped pita pockets on grill, cooking for 8 to 10 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove pitas from foil and continue grilling until crisp, about 10 minutes more. Flip if you can, but be careful to keep filling inside.
- Serve with cold dipping sauces if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Image: flickr user jeffreyw, licensed by Creative Commons