Squash, Squash and Squash! On my last trip to the local farmers market on Monday, the zucchini and summer squash were at every stand. Summer squash are some of the most versatile vegetables. One of the best ways I like serving them is as a side dish with this weeks featured ingredient – fish! Also, both zucchini and summer squash can be eaten raw, either as crudite, or shaved thin in a salad.
Here’s a great dinner meal plan that I made over the past weekend, complete with both fish and organic zucchini purchased from my farmers market! It’s a super simple meal, extremely healthy, and best of all – requires very little actual cooking – which is perfect for the hot summer months!
Grilled Swordfish, simply seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, cayenne.
Brown Rice (I happen to be a fan of Trader Joe’s precooked, frozen brown rice – saves a lot of time!)
Zucchini Salad with Walnut Pesto, inspired by “Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan Pine Nuts” from epicurious.com.
Recipe: Zucchini Salad with Walnut Pesto
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts nuts, toasted
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Using vegetable peeler or mandolin and working from top to bottom of each zucchini, slice zucchini into ribbons (about 1/16 inch thick). Place ribbons in large bowl.
- Combine basil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, nuts, cheese in blender. Chop.
- Stream in olive oil.
- Add walnut pesto to zucchini.
- Right before serving, add lemon zest and juice
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6