Here at Healthy Way to Cook, we provide tons of recipes and tips to help you make healthy meals at home. But let’s face it, every once in a while we need a break from the kitchen. If you want to enjoy a night out and know you’re making a good choice for yourself and the environment, check out our list of the Top 10 local/organic restaurants located in major foodie cities across the country.
1. Veggie Planet –47 Palmer Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. Known primarily for its meat-and-dairy free pizzas, this Harvard Square hotspot serves up fresh, seasonal vegetarian and vegan dishes at extremely affordable prices (all dinner entrees are under $12). Not only is Veggie Planet’s organic pizza dough sourced from a non-profit bakery that supports underemployed men and women, but the restaurant also transforms into a folk music club at dinnertime!
2. Pure Food & Wine – 54 Irving Place, New York, NY 10003. Just because nothing in this raw vegan eatery is cooked above 118˚ doesn’t mean its menu full of salads. Only the freshest plant-based ingredients are used to create Pure Food & Wine’s unique seasonal dishes, like the Pear Ravioli with Smoked Long Pepper Mousse or Key Lime Cloud. Since opening in 2004, it was listed twice on New York Magazine’s “Top 100 Restaurants” list and appeared for five straight years on Forbes magazine’s list of “All Star New York Eateries.”
3. Cookshop – 156 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10011. Cookshop’s passions are simple: sustainable ingredients, humanely raised animals, and supporting local farmers and artisans. Each dish is prepared using the grill, rotisserie or wood-burning oven, and contains a wide selection of locally sourced and sustainably grown ingredients.
4. Blue Duck Tavern – 1201 24th Street Northwest, Washington, DC. 20037 Food critics and diners alike have sung the praises of this open kitchen restaurant located in the Park Hyatt Washington Hotel. Guests can watch the chefs prepare rustic, seasonal dishes made with farm-fresh ingredients in the restaurant’s wood-burning oven. Over the last several years, Blue Duck Tavern has received numerous accolades from prominent publications like Zagat, Bon Appetit, and Food & Wine magazine.
5. The Cellar Bistro – 132 North Hale Street, Wheaton, IL 60187. The Cellar Bistro is one of the Windy City’s go-to places for fresh, locally-sourced eats. From their antibiotic and hormone-free meats and preservative-free ingredients to their paper straws and biodegradable to-go containers, this restaurant is committed to making a positive impact on the health of both its diners and the environment.
6. Sage’s Cafe – 473 East Broadway, Salt Lake City, UT 84111. The high quality meat-free menu at Sage’s Cafe has garnered a lot of attention: Salt Lake City Weekly has named it the best vegetarian restaurant in Utah for twelve years running. Sage’s spares no expense in bringing its customers the freshest, healthiest food available by purchasing certified organic products and always seeking local first.
7. Root Down – 1600 West 33rd Avenue, Denver, CO 80211. Root Down describes itself as having a “field to fork” mentality, offering its diners food that is as organic, natural, and local as possible. The menu here offers a wide selection of “globally influenced seasonal cuisine,” including accommodations and alternate versions for vegetarian, vegan, raw, and gluten-free diets.
8. Paley’s Place – 1204 Northwest 21st Avenue, Portland, OR 97209. With only 50 seats, Paley’s Place provides the best of the Pacific Northwest’s organic and sustainable bounty in a warm, intimate environment. The small size of the restaurant allows the chefs to be flexible and creative with the seasonal menu at Paley’s, which has been featured in national publications like the New York Times, Oprah Magazine, and Bon Appetit.
9. Tender Greens – 9523 Culver Boulevard, Culver City, CA 90232. Tender Greens has seven locations throughout California, but all of them follow the same philosophy of consciously connecting diners to the food they eat. Each restaurant uses cage-free chicken and hormone/antibiotic-free beef, local farm produce, and artisan bakery breads to ensure that only the finest, freshest products go into their dishes.
10. Roots – 466 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA 94108. Both the locally sourced food and the atmosphere at Roots reflect the desire for a wholesome, inviting dining experience. Located in San Francisco’s Orchard Garden Hotel, this organic restaurant is all about bringing fresh, sustainable, and naturally grown/raised products to the table.
What’s your review of these restaurants? Did we miss your favorite? Let us know!
Image courtesy of Satoru Kikuchi via Flickr (CC BY 2.0)