Are your trying to eat less meat? This dish is still packed with protein and good nutrients from the beans, and is just as filling as a main meat course for any dinner.
Recipe: White Bean Stuffed Tomatoes
Summary: This dish can be great as a side, but can also be a filling dinner!
- 4 Large Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 (18-ounce) Can White Beans (Great Northern or Cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 4 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- Cut the top off each tomato; with a spoon, scoop out and discard most of the pulp and seeds.
- Brush outsides of tomato shells with 1 tablespoon oil; place tomatoes in a oven-safe dish.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook for
- about 4 minutes, until it starts to brown, stirring constantly. Stir in garlic and red pepper and
- cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans until warmed through.
- Add 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Fill each tomato shell with bean mixture, dividing evenly.
- In a cup, combine bread crumbs and basil and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Lightly cover and broil until tomatoes are tender but retain their shape, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Image: flickr user cookbookman17, licensed by Creative Commons