To end our very first week of posts, here’s a great recipe that shows just how versatile vegetables can be, and how easily they can be incorporated into diets. Zucchini cookies are a bit sweet, and just a bit savory too. This easy recipe is best made with local, fresh zucchini. Try not telling anyone that vegetables are in these desserts, and see if they can figure it out!
Recipe: Zucchini Cookies
Summary: A unique take on an abundant summer vegetable!
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) Butter, softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 2 Cups Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Grated Zucchini (about 1 small zucchini)
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Cup (6 ounces) Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the egg, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in the zucchini, raisins, walnuts, and chocolate
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool 2 to 3 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Image: flickr user Veganbaking.net, licensed by Creative Commons